Coursework: Summer Project 2026

1) Research: TikTok videos

1.) Narrative: https://www.tiktok.com/@.strangeangels/video/7664680478074490134?_r=1&_t=ZN-99QNL5NmLEw 

This video emphasises on how dance and song can bring people from many different background together through a shared passion of music. I want to be able to convey the same feeling of community and the fact that despite our differences we all share humanity through the pleasures of music and that diversity can be explored through song. By diversity I not only mean people of different ethnic background but also gender, homosexuality, disabilities, social classes and anything else that could possibly other someone from society. I want to be able to emphasise on a freedom of self expression through a world shared passion for music. possibly rejecting Stuart Hall's theory of stereotypes and media representations through the fluidity of expression and rejecting traditional conformities of identity that society places on each individual. 

2.) Camerawork https://www.tiktok.com/@ryallforeal/video/7569038045857565983?_r=1&_t=ZN-99QRvtZPzNr

The very first scene of the clip displays a smooth camera pan towards the artist, focusing on him through the camera movement and setting him as the vocal point of attention as soon as the scene starts. The use of over the shoulder camerawork also displays conflict and suspense as well as a potential action code which draws audiences in. There are also tracking shots of each character, highlighting their differences by their contrasting visual appearances which further prove their conflict into a potential fight against each other. The slow-motion editing of the tracking shot following the characters running emphasis further on the action code and excites audience members towards the peak of the narrative. 

3.) Mise-en-scene https://www.tiktok.com/@drownedforlovee/video/7615350842861899028?_r=1&_t=ZN-99QNKJ6Zbs7

The video displays fast paced scenes of disco clubs, matching the past electric pace of Madonnas "Future Lovers. Despite the song in the back not being a disco song pace and rhythm matches the colourful and lively scenes displayed: sparkles, colourful costumes and backgrounds, dancing crowds, performing artists (Donna Summers), flashing light, colourful bright lights and signs, etc. These conventions all create an inviting and playful meaning for audiences which emphasise on the community shared passion of music despite differences. The genre of disco itself emphasised on liberation and escapism from politics and wars, something I think can be heavily linked to todays climate and can already be seen by heavy inspiration of the disco era in medias like Doja Cats 2025 Album "Vie". Madonna also has ties to self expression because of her lively and liberating lyrics which is again what I want to predominantly display within my own coursework. 

4.) Editing https://www.tiktok.com/@danielbyte/video/7613275458905394454?_r=1&_t=ZN-99QRu3w9zNO 

There is a lot of use of match on action shots which emphasise the performer's movement as well as many different camera pans in smooth wiggly motions which also emphasise the performers free movements. There are 26 different clips in the 59 second clip, mainly switching between 2 different scenes, one being focused on dancing whilst the other focuses on the artists character. There is also a lot of use of low key lighting which casts shadows over half of the artists face which adds to the visually darker colour tones in the music video. The pace switches between clips from medium to fast to emphasise the beat several times which creates excitement for audiences through the matching the songs rhythm.

5.) Music Video Conventions https://www.tiktok.com/@spark_station77/video/7458056755591908630?_r=1&_t=ZN-99QQr0GpWj8

The music video entirely consists on performance through dance however there is a hint towards a narrative throughout the music video which conveys a sense of enigma due to the briefness of it (the guy not in uniform walking around). All performers dance synchronised in military like costumes which also creates narrative which links to the music video being called "Rhythm Nation", "nation" having conventions of a party in power (like the military) so the performers are presented as soldiers perhaps. There not only is performance through the dancing but also through the mouthing of the lyrics which is depicted as singing. Regarding Goodwin's theory of music video conventions this video shares a few: the linking of lyrics to visuals ("we are the rhythm nation" whilst in uniform and synchronised movement depicting a solider like group) which emphasises the music videos lyrics and visuals, close ups of stars (when Janet Jackson is predominantly focused on as she sings with performers beside her), as well as meats that synchronise visuals (through dance and camera editing paces).

6.) Visual effects, intertextuality or product placement


2) Planning: 3 TikTok video treatments

1.) Throughout the music video I want to be able to briefly reference the drink I want to advertise and then through fast pace editing and shorter clips selected for social medias. I will then add them all together to form a TikTok video advertising both the music video and the drink. 

I think an unboxing haul of artist merch would also be a good advertisement for the album as well as merch pieces, things like t-shirts, CD's, keychains, posters and more. Unboxing adverts usually give audiences a sense of dopamine due to their consumeristic mindsets so not only does it promise an automatic interest by fans and viewers but also potentially promises larger merch sets.

I would also like to use clips from the music video which would be edited into a short formatted video of the best parts of the music video. The music video will either include Madonna's "Don't Tell Me" or George Michael's "Freedom '90". However they would be under my artists name of "Green Gorbe" 

I would also like to create a sort of interview or podcast with the artist talking about the album or talking about their role as a music artist, it both being entertaining and promotional. 

Perhaps also a photoshoot which would be linking towards the merch like through the posters and CD booklets, I do want the photoshoot to be heavily inspired by William Dafoe however in the sense of it seems very nonsensical. 

3) Statement of intent:

I will be using Goodwin's theory of music videos through the music video's narrative linking to both the visuals and the lyrics in order to amplify its meaning, as well as intertextual references to contemporary politics/societal cues and references to merchandise and products. I will also be using Steve Neal's theory of "repetition and difference" through repeated character conventions of an outlaw however the difference is that they are exposed to modern day societal issues. I will be able to exploit audiences of already large music artists like Beyoncé since her latest few albums also shared a sort of outlaw like visual appearance, any audience members who enjoy the visual aspect of outlaws and the west would be able to enjoy and interact with my music video. My product will target its intended audience through it's enticing production as well as its individual and unique aesthetics. It also will drag in potentially neglected audience members due to the diversity and liberation I want to focus on throughout the music video. Regarding the short formatted videos, I will chose the most action code provoking and exciting scenes and clips from my productions in order to entice and attract more active viewers. It also being posted within social media’s means that audience members can interact with the posts freely rather than if they were to buy it on a tape. I will also produce a plethora of different merchandise products to ensure that my passive consumerist audience (since that is the majority of audiences online; eg. Collectors of artist merch) will feel obligated to in order to fulfil a collection.

4) Presentation

https://powerpoint.loud.microsoft/open/drivedoc5FC160E27EEE832%21s48ce313ec427dfbfcbb04ffaa&dr2e3




Website 

3 TikTok concepts

Music inspirations  

Moodbord - brand I want to achieve 

Visual inspirations 

Narrative idea 

Drink concept 

Name and logo 

Photoshoot plan  issues and how I may fix it 

Music video plan 

My audience 

Merch 

Comments

Popular Posts